Thursday, January 31, 2013

Cajun Chicken & Vegetable Alfredo

Cajun Chicken & Vegetable Alfredo

Do you LOVE fettucine alfredo but hate the excessive amounts of fat and calories it always seems to give you?? Me too!! So I came up with my own recipe that has a MUCH lower calorie count :) Also...I cheat a bit. I use alfredo sauce in a jar.

 But I'm sure it would be just as easy to make yourself, with skim milk and parmesan.
Ignore the frozen broccoli. Usually I use fresh!!!

Ingredients (makes 1 serving):
3 oz cooked chicken (or 3 oz shrimp also works too!)
1/4 cup light alfredo sauce
1/4 cup shredded carrots
3/4 cup broccoli
1/4 cup chopped onions
1/4 tsp minced garlic
1/4 chopped red bell pepper
1/4 chopped yellow bell pepper
1 large mushroom, chopped
1/2 roma tomato, chopped
Black pepper & Italian seasoning to taste
(optional) 1/2 bag zero-calorie shirataki fettuccine noodles
(optional) 1 T parmesan cheese to garnish




Directions:
If uncooked, saute chicken (or shrimp) in skillet with cooking spray and cajun seasoning until cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
 Spray skillet and add chopped onion, garlic, carrots, and peppers.


 Once they start to soften, add peppers, mushroom and tomato, and saute until vegetables are cooked. Add your meat and let sizzle with Cajun seasoning until heated through
Today I used shrimp! Mmm. (Do you like my pink spatula?)



Add alfredo sauce; keep stirring until sauce is heated. serve and top with parmesan!












NOTE: Shirataki noodles are an AWESOME substitute for pasta, especially in a dish like this.








I bought mine on Amazon, and yes, they are a bit expensive, but they are ZERO calories and work wonders when you are craving noodles but trying to keep the carbs low. I definitely recommend the angel hair and the fettuccine. The best way I've found to cook them is to rinse them very well out of the package, then boil for 2-3 minutes.

They look rather gross by themselves. Just wait!





Still gross looking, I know. But mix it up and then you'll see!

I chose a clementine orange and vanilla soymilk. All part of a balanced diet!





Drain and pat with a paper towel, and they will better absorb whatever sauces or flavorings you add them to.











Once you mix the noodles in with the sauce, they look MUCH more appealing . Sometimes I even forget they're not real pasta! Serve it up and remember to balance it out!






Nutrition Facts (made with shrimp):
Calories: 236
Total Fat: 7.5 g
Saturated Fat: 3.0 g
Cholesterol: 127 mg
Sodium: 915 mg
Total Carbs: 22.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 6.6 g
Sugars: 7.3 g
Protein: 24.3 g

For meal made with chicken, just add  45 calories and 5 g of protein!! :) Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment